I’ve been living in Sweden for over five years now, yet every day I still see little aspects — I call them life in Sweden moments — that remind me I’m not in Kansas anymore.
Five things happened recently that reminded me: I’m far away from home.
1. I saw a business man walking down the street the other day. He was wearing green pants — bright, fluorescent green.
2. Anton HysÃ©n became the first elite Swedish soccer player to come out of the closet.
3. My colleagues were watching the Biathlon World Championships on live, online TV. And they were super excited.
4. On facebook, I made fun of semlor, the beloved cardamon buns eaten this time of year, and my Swedish friends went absolutely crazy.
5. A colleague of mind asked his boss if he could move two hours away, work from home four days a week, and come in on Wednesdays. His boss said yes.
If you’re living in Sweden, tell us some moments you’ve had recently.
Check out Lost in Stockholm’s A to Z guide on Dating Swedish Men
Football’s first open gay player
Swedish winter sports make em go crazy
A semlor recipe
Workers have rights in Sweden
3 Replies to “Gay soccer players and cardamon buns”
Love your blog – fellow NJ refugee here – as for ‘you’re not in NJ anymore’ moments – I just got put on sick leave from my parental leave (very legit injury reasons) for the next 2 weeks. All my American family is completely baffled…..
Oh and my neighbors are already out suntanning in their underwear next door, and the temp is only 65 degrees, but sunny.
Love it. On sick leave from parental leave. That’s a lot of leave! How Swedish. What town in Jersey?
Everytime I go into a pizza place and see banana curry pizza I have a ‘Sweden moment’. Surely they can’t exist anywhere else??